Sunday, 19 January 2014

Reflection: Lesson so far

Yijun: During the CID lessons I have learned not to judge a book by its cover reason because I was fooled by the lady with the baby on the photo to think that they was actually a beggar, but after I found out that the lady was actually of a gang of beggar that uses baby to make other people pity them and give them more money. I was furious when I found out what happened and began to pity the man on the another photo instead, he had lack limbs and legs when he was born and he had to sit on a wheelchair to go beg however his wheelchair was stolen and he had to write a banner to beg as he could no move without the aid of his wheelchair. This had thought me not to judge a book by its cover and to find out the truth beneath.


Wee Hung: I learnt a lot from the lesson 'a picture paints a thousand words'. After seeing the picture of the man holding the board, which says 'help, all my belongings stolen', I thought he got reduced to a beggar after everything in his house got stolen by burglars. After knowing the story of the man, I realised that the man has no house, and what he meant by belongings was just a pushcart. Pictures really tell a lot, but sometimes no matter how carefully you observe, you may not know the whole story. Pictures can be deceiving, so we cannot judge things just by looking at a picture. We must think deeper before jumping to a conclusion.


Sharlene: This past three weeks of CID 2 lessons has been really intriguing. Normally I don't like to voice out during other classes but for this module, I feel like speaking up more about my opinions and suggestions. The lessons were mostly discussions, about observation, thinking from different perspective and also learning not to deduce and conclude something just by looking at a situation or subject. Instead, we should think deeper, using our experience and knowledge. Personally, I feel that I've learnt many valuable skills and thinking that could not be in other subject lessons. The lesson on Poverty in Singapore, the pictures of beggars and also the observation challenge caused me to reflect and realise that I assume and judge people and situations too quickly. It's easy that people look only on the surface but after learning these lessons, I hope that I would analyze and take note of little things. Especially whether my friends and family are stressed or worried as I tend to be slower in noticing change in others. All in all, the method of learning along with our own groups and blog is extremely cool and productive! 


Shaun: After these 3 lessons, what left me with the deepest impression was the lesson "a picture paints a thousand words". When I saw the picture of the woman carrying a baby, I immediately thought she was a beggar. After realizing that they may be a family, I was shocked at how I judged her too quickly just by an action. I have learnt and will always remember the importance of looking beyond just what is on the surface during reflection. From lesson 3, I have also learnt to know and care more about someone by observing their daily lives.


Esther: Over the past few weeks of the cid program, i have really learnt not to judge a book by its cover. I have judged quickly on whether i should help the male beggar or the female one. However i ceased to notice that there was a story behind both of the beggars. I have also learnt that a picture speaks a thousand words, like the picture kevin carter took. I believe i have learnt a lot from this cid and i hope to learn more :-)


Fiona: During CID lesson, I have learnt not to judge a book by its cover. We should know how to first observe, then think deeper and harder for the answer with our acquired knowledge and skills,  instead of just judging something by how it looks like. I have also learnt how to care for my peers by observing their actions or words, for example  if they are tired or gloomy. I have learnt a lot during these few CID2 lessons and I hope to learn more in the future lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment